Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hello Annwfyn!

Food allergies would suck. Seriously. You’d have to check EVERYTHING! I mean, I keep kosher so I have to check some foods but there generally isn’t meat in products that wouldn’t logically have meat. There are nuts and diary and wheat and soy in everything and even if they aren’t directly in the food then it’s still possible that the product was manufactured using the same machinery as those that include the prohibited ingredients. And checking for all that is just plain intense! So, yeah. I’m not sure how that’s going to fit into this blog...
Basically, that was an idea I had earlier today when I was thinking I’d have to write an early blog cause I was going to go out and do stuff tonight. Not so. I stayed in and read another... 50-ish pages of my book and should soon start studying for my linear algebra test tomorrow. Yeah. I’m not happy with how this evening turned out :(
Since this is another one of my obscure places, Annwfyn is one of the Welsh names given to the Otherworld. It’s seen in a poem called Preideu Annwfyn, or The Spoils of Annwfyn, which is a Welsh poem likely from the 9th century CE accredited to the bard Taliesin and it’s about King Arthur leading a raiding party there that doesn’t go over too well as only 7 men of 3 boats worth return. And it really isn’t even about King Arthur is just references him as the leader and the Arthur of then is far different that the Arthur we think of now cause the Arthurian tradition is just plain INSANE! Honestly, we spent my myth class last week (2 hours and 30 minutes) trying to wrap our heads around the vast quantity of work there is on it and how it all developed and what that means for the other myths we study.
Also, the novel I’m reading is Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper which deals a lot with the Wasteland and the Fisher King (well, a multiform of them [multiform being a retelling or just a different telling of the same or similar story]) and I spent a lot of time earlier this year working with Preideu Annwfyn so that’s the place that sprung to mind I was trying to come up with a topic. Cause honestly, that’s what I’ve been thinking about. Lots and lots of Welsh myths.
Odd topic for the brain of a math major. That brain is currently mad at me. But I’m going to give it some math soon which unfortunately will make it even madder.
See you after the test!
TTFN,
-Merr
Sorority Events: 7
Israeli Dances: 5
PS. I ate a chocolate chip cookie today cause it was given to me in my lunch after volunteering and I have no self control. If you read Haley G. Hoover’s blog you know she is a much stronger woman than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment