Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hello Sunnyside!

Yesterday I got a flower plant to keep in my room and it’s making me happy (which is part of the reason why I got said plant). It was an event that I did with my sorority, we decorated old containers and put plants in them. Mine has this gorgeous red and yellow-orange flower so I named him Godric. I mean, seriously. What else could I possibly name him?
Now maybe you think that naming plants is a bit excessive but I’m a bit excessive and one of the sisters suggested I do so, so I did. Whenever I’m given an excuse to name things, I do so. All of my electronics have names (except for some reason my laptop doesn’t have an official name) along with nicknames that describe how they relate to me if I was the ruler of a kingdom. Like, my laptop is my Minion and my iPod is my Jester.
As a child, and still now, all of my stuffed animals had names. This was simplified by having a TON of beanie babies that come with names. However, I still used to know all of their names. Unfortunately I don’t remember basically any of my stuffed animal’s names from when I was little, however the crocheted octopus currently sitting on my bed is named Pearl (after the octopus in “Finding Nemo”).
I know that naming children is a topic to be taken seriously (at least when you really, truly have to name a child) but therein lies the fun of naming inanimate objects. You can call them whatever you want and it won’t affect them (I apologize if I misused affect there). It’s just a way of claiming ownership over things, personalizing them, and making them slightly more special to you.
So I name a lot of my stuff.
TTFN,
-Merr
Sorority Events: 9
Israeli Dances: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment