Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hello Mathmagic Land!

There are 24 hours in a day. On an absolutely spectacular night (or the average weekend) I get 8 hours of sleep.
16
There’s the 1 hour I spend brushing my teeth, showering, and getting dressed because I am a zombie when I wake up and my movements are unnecessarily slow.
15
At some point a permissible hour of youtube spent watching the new uploads and their recommendations.
14
An hour and a half of meals.
12.5
Most weekend days I have an event or a meeting or some sort of activity so I’ll give that 4 hours because I’m generous.
8.5
An hour of reading twitter.
7.5
An hour of miscellaneous online stuff like reading blogs and checking facebook and emails.
6.5
That’s three decently long movies. Eight and a half episodes of Glee or Doctor Who or Buffy or Firefly. An entire John Green book read slowly. A flight from the east coast to the west coast plus at least half an hour. A flight from the west coast to the east coast plus an hour and a half.
How do you spend it?
I think I’m going to make the above into a video at some point cause I really like the idea. I just stuck to a weekend because, well, it’s a Sunday and I’ve done so little it’s embarrassing. I’m sick so I can’t do anything fun and it’s Passover so I can’t even go anywhere to eat so I have literally not left my floor all day. And the most productive thing I’ve done is watch the movie for one of my classes.
I have work to do. It’s not like I’m sitting around watching Cate’s old youtube videos (she’s an amazing vlogger so you should definitely watch some of her videos) because I have nothing to do with my life. I have math homework that I should have started. I have so much reading that I know it will never all get done. I have dances to learn. I have books to read. I have research to get done. And none of this actually requires leaving my room.
But I chose, and I mean actively chose, to spend my day reading The Graveyard Book, watching youtube videos, and starting a list of all my Pokemon on my Heart Gold game.
And I was thinking: it’s really, really silly sometimes what we chose to do with our lives. I have had on my to-do list for ages the task of naming all of my Pokemon using biology vocabulary terms. That’s really, really not important. That is FAR less important than watching Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek, which are both arguably not nearly as important as doing my homework or even sending my emails. However that’s something I did today.
I had more things to talk about but I’m getting really tired now and I still probably should do the 6 problems of my math homework from the section we already learned before I go to sleep so I’m going to go do that.
By the way, Mathmagic Land is from this movie “Donald in Mathmagic Land” that I loved when I was a child. I probably should have used this title for a blog explaining the glories of math and why I love it and thus why I’m majoring in it but that’s something about which I am even less coherent than usual so that will be saved for a blog not during BEDA that I spend time preparing and editing.
For now, goodnight.
TTFN,
-Merr
Sorority Events: 8
Israeli Dances: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment