Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hello Solla Sollew!

I’m on a musical kick. And yeah, I don’t know why I went with Shiz as opposed to Oz. I completely forgot about that whole world being fictional when I wrote the blog. By bad... :)
The song Solla Sollew is one that I really like. It’s this really gorgeous, hopeful lullaby. The kind that maybe I would sing to my someday, maybe, potential-but-by-no-means-am-I-set-on-this-idea-of-having-them children. I was listening to it the other day and I was thinking about the lullabies I was sung. I don’t remember them. I know my little brother had this goodnight routine my mom would say to him every night. It was basically her saying goodnight to everything and everyone important to him. It lasted a while, until he was about seven so by that time it included some pokemon. He also had this tape of lullabies and stories he’d listen to when he went to sleep every night. I didn’t have these things and I used to be really bitter about that. Well, that’s just how the older/younger sibling relationship goes sometimes. Most times :D
However, nowadays I have a playlist on my ipod of mellow songs that I use to both calm me down whenever I’m really frustrated or help me sleep when I’m restless. I think two of the fourteen are lullabies I would actually sing (Hallelujah -Rufus Wainright [that’s the version I have but is it actually by Leonard Cohen?] and Yellow -Coldplay). Those are both really pretty songs I could definitely see myself singing.
I was reminded of another gorgeous lullaby when I was walking to class this morning. My friend I was walking with started singing Circle Game, which is a song I first heard at a convention I went to the summer after my ninth grade. That’s one of the songs that will make me cry if sung by a large group of my friends. Pretty songs have that power over me. Another one of these songs that makes me cry is Magic, a girl scout song that’s always sung at the end of weekend campouts at bonfire. It gets me EVERY time.
Does that happen to you? Do you have any songs that you find so beautiful or moving that you’ll start crying? Or am I just weirdly emotional when it comes to music? That is definitely possible. I had a friend who whenever she would play her guitar and sing an even slightly emotional or pretty or mellow but happy song I would start tearing up. So me being a special case is a definite possibility.
Let me know. And also, what kind of music do you listen to? Or what are your favorite songs? I don’t know what my favorites are cause they have this tendency to change but one thing I do know is that the best song depictions of myself are a combination of Be OK by Ingrid Michaelson and Unwell by Matchbox 20.
Okay. I’m really headed off now.
TTFN!
-Merr
Sorority Events: 3
Israeli Dances: 1

2 comments:

  1. Ok now that I've started commenting I find it very hard to stop. What's proper ettiquite? I just have to say that Hallelujah is one of my favorite songs. And that I get the chills/ slightly teary listening to some musix sometimes, or poetry. The first time this happened was in like second grade hearing parts of the Odyssey recited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To comment whenever you want. Seriously, that's what this is for. Oh goodness, sometimes poetry really gets me. Though not intensely metaphorical poetry cause that just leaves me confused, the simple, pretty poems though.

    ReplyDelete